Penny Arcade Interview
Interview by Sim
1. First off, for all the viewers out there that aren't "in the know"
concerning Penny Arcade (hereby referred to as PA)... tell 'em what PA
is and what you do.
Gabe: Well, PA is a comic that Tycho and I do together. It appears 3
times a week online and now you can also catch it every month in OPM (official
playstation magazine) and CGW (Computer Gamming World). I persoanlly draw
and write the strips. Tycho also writes the strips as well as maintains
the web site.
2. So, do you enjoy doing the comic now, more or less than when you
Gabe: I enjoy it more I think. Don't ask me why.
Tycho: I've never been happier about it. I can barely remember what it
felt like when we were first doing it, actually. We never meant for it
to turn out the way it did.
3. Gotta ask this. What are the plans on PA merchandise? Any books,
shirts, or action figures in the works?
Gabe: We are working on two different T-shirt designs right now. We
also are looking into stickers.
Tycho: I'll be setting up the PayPal thing soon enough, so keep your eyes
peeled. I'm pretty excited about it. Our merchandise strategy thus far
has been to make stuff that we want to have, just make a couple hundred
4. Now for the beef of the questions. What is your absolute favorite
game of all time?
Gabe: I was put on this earth to play Wetrix. But besides that I really
liked Metal Gear Solid (MGS).
Tycho: It changes from time to time, but in the end it's alays the same:
5. What games/demos are you playing right now?
Gabe: I am playing a lot of Virtua Tennis, also Unreal Tournament (UT).
Tycho: In no particular order: UT, Diablo 2, Deus Ex. I want to do the
Icewind Dale thing but I can't fit it in :(
6. What game are you looking forward to the most?
Gabe: There are a lot of good games to look forward to. Tribes 2, Jet
Grind Radio, MGS2...
Tycho: Oh, the usual suspects: Tribes 2, Halo, Sims Livin' Large, Elite
Force... I could go on. :)
7. Where do you stand on the new netcode featured in the latest patch
for Half-Life? For it, against it, or un-biased?
Gabe: I don't play half life.
Tycho: I lost my God Damned CD, and my replacement has not yet arrived.
There are vocal critics and enthusiasts, I know that much :)
8. Where do you stand on the whole "consolve vs. pc" argument?
Gabe: I was born a console gamer and I'll die a console gamer.
Tycho: I'm the other way. He's a little bit country, I'm a little bit
rock and roll.
9. What are your feelings on the X-Box?
Gabe: They really haven't showed enough for me to make a descision about
it. The tech demo looks hot but it all depends on the games.
Tycho: I'm with him. Hard to say yet.
10. If you met John Romero, would you shake his hand, kick him in
the nuts, or just cut his hair?
Gabe: Do I have to meet him?
Tycho: We tried to do just that, actually! When we saw that he was doing
autographs with Killcreek at E3, we got in line right away. Gabe did a
little sketch, and we were going to have him autograph it if we could,
but he left when we were only like five people away.
11. Roughly, between you two, how many zombies have you killed?
Gabe: Not nearly enough.
Tycho: Your crude "numbers" are ill equipped to depict such concepts.
12. I'm on dial-up, using a pathetic 33k analong modem. Does that
really make me "worse than Lepers"?
Tycho: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
13. Can you release any secrets about any upcoming projects with
you and GameSpy involved?
Gabe: I do new work for them every week. If you go to gamespy chances
are you will see something I drew.
14. And finally, will you ever stop playing games?
Tycho: Wild dogs couldn't drag me away. Well, maybe if they were *really*
Thanks a lot guys!
You can check out their comic strip along with daily news at www.penny-arcade.com.
And if you get really obsessed with the comic, you can always join
the Penny Arcade Cult. Can
you guess who's the leader?